Tuesday 20 May 2008

What the Lord give, the Lord taketh away...

















Whilst picking some rosemary I discovered to my delight that my Tahitian Lime had finally decided to bear fruit to maturity. Excited by my little clutch of nearly ripe limes I pulled back a few branches - only to notice lumps within the branches - all over the tree...

A quick Google search reveals my poor tree - that has been nursed through several drought stricken years and was finally surging with new life, flowers and fruit - is ridden with gall wasp.

Apparently with this kind of infestation (most of the branches are affected) I have to destroy the whole tree. How is that fair?

Poor little guy.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Dont do it. It doesnt need to be done. Feed water and treat the tree very nicely. And watch. It will probably recover. Imagine if you had a virus or two. Well no good, your keeper would say, cut off the head. Give the lime some time.