Monday 5 November 2007

Craft vs Art













And this is what every gal should tell herself daily...

This has actually been finished for a couple of weeks - but between work and a computer with a dodgy power supply, I really haven't been able to do much updating.

I've another reason for not posting this earlier... but it is a confession of sorts.

This cushion was supposed to be a birthday present for someone very nice way back in July. Definitely a high caliber fox at that. Unfortunately after lots of quality time spent together sewing and what not - the thought of actually parting with my little friend is, well kind of difficult.

I'll freely admit greedy thoughts of "well her birthday was quite a while ago..." and "she wouldn't even know..." are often mused in moments of weakness. Not very charitable of me is it?

How do other crafters do it?

Which brings me to my next issue. I sort of promised Jms that I would set up an Etsy shop by his birthday. Yes well that was a week ago and still nada - but that's beside the point. The point is that I have all these little designs that I have been (v.v.v. slowly) working on with the intention of selling them. But I am finding it really problematic - because I can't seem to bear to part with any of them!

I love them, have dreamt about them, deliberated and slowly nurtured them into life - what if, god forbid, no-one loves them as much as me?

My only clue to the answer to this conundrum is that this passion I feel for these little projects suggests something actually quite profound. I have turned my hand to many things in my life. Always searching for that "thing" that puts a fire in my belly. Crafting is something I have always dabbled with - but in my heart of hearts did not ever credit it as great art. Aesthetic consumption perhaps. And in my darkest moments when my critical eye is appalled at the footprint I am leaving on this earth, I think how could I possibly justify the creation of more stuff that no-one actually needs?

But that passion - that care and indefinable imprint of yourself that is imparted - does that not make it art? And Art I can justify. Art breathes life into a stale mind. Art can change minds. And if you can change enough minds - you can change the world.

So if my craft invokes a deep emotional response in me (even if it is just soft furnishings) I'm inclined to believe that it has intrinsic value, that others too may appreciate.

No comments: